Teresa has over twenty years of experience working with children, adolescents and adults. She has worked with individuals, couples and families with a variety of presenting difficulties. They include:
• Relationship difficulties: family conflict, couple disharmony, parenting difficulties, friendship strains, work problems, disparity in social or affiliation groups
• Life and family transitions: loss and bereavement, birth of a child, couple separation or divorce, new family formations, moving to independent living or cohabiting
• Intense and difficult emotions or experiences: sadness, anger, bullying, discrimination, child aggression, excessive Internet and gaming behaviour, self-harm, depression, anxiety, trauma
• Issues around identity and affiliation groups: including race and ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, gender experience, faith and religion, parenthood, marital status, appearance, age and maturation, ability/disability, educational and professional choices
• Serious mental health problems or life-long conditions: eating disorders, psychosis, learning difficulties, ADHD, autism, living with a physical illness
Alongside her private practice, Teresa works part-time for the NHS at the Royal Free Hospital as Lead Family and Systemic Psychotherapist. This role includes providing consultation on systemic perspectives, training on Family Interventions to Eating Disorders as well as co-facilitating psycho-education courses for parents of children with Eating Disorders. Teresa devised and coordinates a skills-based programme for parents with the aim of providing education, skills and techniques to support them to manage their child’s Eating Disorder.
Teresa provides clinical supervision and consultation to various professionals including counsellors, psychotherapists, assistant psychologists and nurses. In addition, Teresa taught on two Family Therapy training institutes. On the foundation year of the Family Therapy and Systemic Practice course at Anglia Ruskin University and on the Masters Training Course at The Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust as live supervisor.